The British Columbia Alliance Of Aromatherapy
The BCAOA has established for our members a stringent code of ethics and high standards in professionalism and education, and now offers on-going continuing education courses. Our members have completed comprehensive courses of study approved by the BCAOA Board of Directors, and continue to build upon this broad base regularly. The BCAOA also has the mandate of educating the public on the considerable benefits aromatherapy has to offer.
In June 2018, the BCAOA amalgamated with her sister association, the British Columbia Association of Practicing Aromatherapists (BCAPA) to create a larger, integrated community of professional aromatherapists with access to both continuing education events and Occupational Titles. We have many members, in BC and beyond, who work in various areas of aromatherapy, from owning retail stores and websites to manufacturing aromatherapy products, to running their own aromatherapy practices where they offer the public the professionalism, wealth of knowledge and education they have attained as a member of the BCAOA.
The BCAOA and its Board of Directors is committed to:
- Establishing and maintaining a minimum standard of education for all aromatherapy practitioners.
- Providing, promoting and maintaining professional and ethical standards of practice for aromatherapy and essential oil therapy.
- Publicly promoting aromatherapy and essential oil therapy as a safe, effective and viable complementary professional therapy on its own or in cooperation with other professionals.
- Hosting or supporting on-going education for our members and the public through seminars and workshops.
- Fostering a sense of community and exchange among Aromatherapists, Essential Oil Therapists EOT®, health care practitioners and associations.
- Encouraging and promoting research in the field of aromatherapy and essential oil therapy and the sharing of research amongst all members through our quarterly journal.
What is Aromatherapy/Essential Oil Therapy
The British Columbia Alliance Of Aromatherapy defines aromatherapy/essential oil therapy as the controlled use of essential oil(s) to maintain and promote physical, psychological and spiritual well-being.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are highly volatile plant molecules with complex chemical structures created in nature and extracted by man through steam distillation, expression, solvent extraction, CO2 extraction and other extraction techniques.